[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - St Croix Bridge
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St Croix Bridge
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:36 pm 

I noticed on Google maps and RP.net of a bridge north of Stillwater across the St Croix. It is referred to as the high bridge on the RP comments. Does anyone know if this bridge is still used and if there is anywhere to get some shots of some trains going over it? Everything on RP.net is shots from the trains themselves that I can find.

Thanks!
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know the answer. Can you supply the link to the photos you saw?

My pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:42 pm 

Here are the ones I can find.... Would be pretty cool to get something going across this bridge.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=37849

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=8491

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=6508

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=2927

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=2896

~Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:46 pm 

The coal trains will cross it to make reverse moves into Bayport, other than that cant say for sure if the WC uses it but I think they do once in awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:10 pm 

I think the bridge he's talking about is not the Bayport bridge, that goes into Hudson and is on the Altoona Sub. The bridge in the Pics is the High Bridge north of the Stillwater Boom site, (I spent more then a few nites camped under that bridge)I believe they refer to the line as the High Line and runs through North White Bear lake down to the CN offices in New Brighton. Last time I checked there was 6 to 8 trains a day going through here, but I think that number is high.
You can get up to the west end of the bridge but parking is major concern. There are no parking signs posted for at least a 1/4 mile in both directions where the line crosses over Arcola Trail(the closest road) and the neighbors will report you. I have some experience in that.
I have never tried from the Wisconsin side, perhaps there's better access from there.
Tim (diezmon)has a picture of the of the 261 coming across on his web site, perhaps he has some hints as to what's the best way to get up there.

Sorry I didn't see that you already have Tim's pic of the 261 listed in your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 pm 

Just my cup of tea.

The St.Croix High Bridge hosts on average 1 train a day. Coal trains too, but we will say one train. The WC 405/transfer/WC 406 count as 1 train for me. The transfer is the Humboldt and Northtown job. 405 is the inbound from Stevens Point, and the 406 is the outbound from New Brighton. I personally have been across the bridge and it is a very cool site and feeling looking across the bridge with the trob of the engine and the rocking back and forth.

Alec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:33 pm 

Alec, can you confirm that several years back it saw quite a bit more traffic before the CN had the buy out?
Like I said in my post we used to take the boat up river from Stillwater and camp under that bridge and I definitely remember trains going across there both night and day. I have some pics from down below but I haven't been able to find them, there all WC's crossing both directions. I'm hoping to locate them soon so I can scan and post.
I also have a second question, a week or so ago I was stopped at a crossing in WBL when a CP local with perhaps 6 boxcars and a caboose came by running west and backwards. Is there a regularly scheduled CP local that makes that trip? If so do you know when and where it goes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:17 am 

Yes, in the WC days there were 2 trains, plus coal, and coke trains that went through. 2 transfers a day (that would be a nice treat to have again) and then they would still do the coal train stuff. Where were you when you saw the CP? If your around New Brighton or Cardigan, it was probably Transfer 1.

Alec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:57 am 

I was in White Bear Lake just a few blocks west of Highway61 and where the "Old Skally" crosses. I had never seen any trains other then CN/WC on that line. I think they were GP40s, a Red CP Rail and a White SOO along with a SOO caboose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

My pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:22 pm 

I don't believe so. The Roadrailer goes on UP's line through Eau Claire, WI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:58 pm 

What UP coal, the load or empty? The empty shoves back into the West Leg of the wye and goes on the commercial main to get to St.Paul. The Loads come up the same way with some lead power for the UP guys, and the usually 2 engines trailing so the WC can go out of the East leg and towards Weston.

Alec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:34 am 

That x-WC line sees more than one train a day, definately. I live 1/4 mile from the line and I hear more like 4-5 trains a day :)

That bridge is a spectacular spot by the way! If you haven't yet, you should go check it out. It's where I took this shot:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=8491

Just take hwy 95 north out of stillwater to Arcola Trail, you can't miss it.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:20 am 

I'm surprised those birds didn't fly off the guardrail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:20 am