[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - Wednesday 6-18-08
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wednesday 6-18-08
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm 

I started off my day by sitting at Pig's Eye then I decided to move over to Union Junction for a bit. I'm glad I did as I got to see a brief surge in rail traffic, particulary westbounders.

As I got situated and was going to start eating my lunch I already saw lights heading down towards me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfladung/2590575233/

It wasn't long after that I saw more headlights and somewhat of an unusual consist came my way.

http://www.johnfladung.net/images/NS/061808NS8809.html

A couple of eastbounders went through and then after a brief wait coal empties arrived.

http://www.johnfladung.net/images/BNSF/ ... F8837.html

Wanting to try and beat the worst of the rush hour traffic I decided to head back towards home. I worked on the images you saw above, watched some TV then decided to get out once again since it was such a beautiful evening. I decided to go back down to the yard (it's close and you are guranteed to see something).

I grabbed this shot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfladung/2590905345/

Shortly after that shot was taken the SOO 60's pulled out with three cars then moments later a crew came to the BNSF 8251 and they departed. Approximately 10-15 minutes after the 8251 pulled out more coal empties with a GEVO and 60M came through the yard and were preparing to stop. When they got closer to Hoffman they got the signal and notched it up and never had to come to a complete stop.

I would probably be still out but work has me coming in early tomorrow. Thanks for looking/reading.

Post subject: Re: Wednesday 6-18-08
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:02 pm 

nice john

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:53 pm 

The 6033 looks surprisingly good and the light is quite nice too. I saw four SOO SD60(M)s (1 white, 2 red, 1 white) today on my lunch break and neither of the white ones looked that good. In fact, the second white one looked pretty faded.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 am 
Site Admin

John, I was up at Uni for a few hours. The 4844 led the GALNTW (odd to see a handful of stackers up front), the NS 8809 was on point of the NSINTW, and the BNSF 8837 was on the E-CXEATM.

I went out in hopes of catching the coal re-routes. CXE and E-PCTATM were what I caught. I also found the GREX ballast set pull out to Uni from the T-yard and head west. http://flickr.com/photos/tags/grexballast/

The Q-station doesn't have an up-to-date coal symbol list, CXE and PCT are not listed. Anyone know what the UP run-through was? UP 4046/UP 4003/UP 4038 @ 1538h.

My pictures

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:47 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

My pictures

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:48 pm 

The regular eastbound UP freight is the M-ITDM. Is that what you guys are wondering?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

My pictures

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 pm 

Last summer I viewed the 6033 while on top of the bridge at 35th ave, and it had new white paint and touched up SOO lettering on the side, which is why it may strike you as strange. I believe that is one of the best Red and White units of any type still on the roster.

Alec

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:13 am 

Nice shots, John. I'm from Calif. and will be railfanning the Twin Cities, starting Monday. I've looked on a map, but am confused as to exactly where these shots were taken. Where is Union Jct? Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 pm 

Curt check this link for maps and more info related to railfanning in the cities, a great welth of info from our frinds at the U of M Railroad club

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/railfan.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:37 am 

Yes, that's a great site. I've already printed out the info and added it to my stack. Well, we're flying out tomorrow morning, and hopefully I'll be able to find my way around to all the great spots you guys have turned me on to. Thanks a lot for all the assistance! Gotta finish packing...video cameras, tripod, scanner, bug-spray... :wink: