[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - A Sad State of Affairs
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Sad State of Affairs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:14 pm 

Last summer SD40-2s were still roaming around and relatively easy to catch leading. Things have changed drastically in a very short amount of time and now it's hard to find a SD40-2 outside of a yard. This day I had the day off and the sun was out so I decided I to shoot the BN/CP Transfer with the BNSF 7888. It was a bittersweet chase knowing that one of my favorite locomotive models is nearly whipped out and what remains has been relegated to lowly yard/local/transfer service.

This obviously is at University but try as I may I just couldn't find the angle I was hoping for. The train is on STP Sub. main 2 which is too far away but if it was on Midway Sub. main 1 it would be too close. The real problem though is the signal bridge. I could get the angle I wanted, but then I would have cut off the bridge and that would look even worse. I guess this is better than nothing even though the color is kinda messed up. I could fix it, but it would be easier not to. :lol:

I wanted to jump ahead far enough so that I wouldn't risk not getting ahead of the train so to Miss. St. I went. Before the BN/CP got here the H GFDBRC showed up with a sadly all too common consist. That big white building is annoying, eh?

The train finally showed up but slowed to a stop at the light so I was standing there in the cold wind not knowing how long it would be held for it. The light continually got worse but after about 20 mins the train was let go and I got this.

At Dunn the shot suffers from the same thing the one at University does; too much empty space on the left. A lot of cirrus clouds had just moved in so I headed for home but I did catch another train going up the Midway Sub. at Jackston St. on my way back.

A sad way to shoot SD40-2s for one of the last times, but at least they are running somewhere. Hope you enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:15 pm 

I enjoyed it quite a bit............Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 pm 

Nice shots! I have a couple questions.

1) What time of day did you shoot those shots at Mississippi?

2) How did you get to that location at Dunn and could I get there too?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:29 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:34 pm 

How many SD40-2's are left in road service on the Bean-Sniff?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 pm 

20 or less.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:48 pm 

I shot two in Grand Forks on the SUP-GFD, on Sunday. the next day they went out on the GFD-NTW so there prolly sitting down there in "the line".

a good note though SD40-2 7055 is on the Noyes Local so atleast its still being used.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:16 pm 

I somewhat agree. The empty/negative space (or whatever you wanna call it) doesn't necessarily ruin the photo by itself but I've developed a certain 'balance' that I try to get in each photo. If I don't get that balance it doesn't make it a bad photo, just not what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:37 am 

It may have been overlooked in my pervious post but is North Star that scrap metal facility on the edge of Newport by the tracks?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm 

Mike, glad you got out to shoot it, as I know that your in the same mind state that I and many others are with the current "progress" that the railroads have achieved. Since I bike most everywhere I go (the stuff by Northtown) I have always listened to music on the way down to the yard (or wherever), and listening to my ipod the last few days brought back a few past summer morning memories of the good stuff, the SD40-2's of course. Sad to think that this summer wont be nearly as exciting...

One shot from Late October 2006 that is poorly lit, but I get out there before the sun does most days, comes to mind. Not summer, but the same context...

Alec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:46 pm 

These four dash-2's have will probably be joining the others in the dead line. Given the length of the train, the second unit probably wasn't needed, let alone the 40's.

Im glad i was able to chase it to this location to get a good side shot.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 884&nseq=1

jer